The Good Things that Come Out of Unfortunate Events

Labels: , , ,
This week's fridate was a different one.

My friend's mom passed away early this week. I just got home and went on line last Tuesday, the first thing I read was her message, telling me what happened. My heart sank for a few minutes I was even tearing up a bit. It was so hard to imagine someone losing his/her mom.

We had agreed to let go of the usual fridate pig out to go to the wake. It was kind of weird that we were group texting talking about going to a funeral parlor. Aren't we young for this? Sure I had my first wake with friends last month but it feels different thinking one of my closest friend's mom died. However, I had to admit I got a bit excited knowing we would have a little bit of a get together after a while.

Ayee picked me up at Cubao then we headed off to Maginhawa because Pma and Pao were there for their so called emergency. Truth be told, Ayee and I were getting a bit grumpy cause we had planned this days before and they were causing us delay for a fake emergency (yeah, we can tell. cause who gets an emergency and stays at Tomatokick? like duh) plus this is not just any fridate. We were going to a wake for chris' sake, someone can only die once!

So anyway, it did help that we got milk tea from Moonleaf and luckily, after what seems to be a lifetime, caramel pudding was available. We decided to just meet up there so we waited for Erika and Ate Kami as well. To our surprise, Fiona was with them! Oh my she's gotten so big already! I remember not so long ago she was in Erika's tummy while we were scaring each other about ghosts at Sacay and now she is this adorable and girly little kid (not to mention very well behaved)

(Everyone cracked up when Pao said the last time she saw Fiona was when she celebrated her 7th birthday. LOL what a lie, she's just five!)

We got there at around 830 already and the place was just plain packed! We stood outside for more than an hour chatting and catching up. it's good to see that Carmi's holding up pretty well. (I guess). I'm praying that they would be ok. I know we all are. She's a strong woman and I can't help but be amazed by her. She's been through a lot - makes me want to think twice when I want to whine about my life. She may not know it but I look up to her. I know she is far from perfect but she has a good heart.

I just miss us being together. Since we graduated from college, it has been so hard to get us in one place at the same time. The random afternoons at school were long gone. It kind of makes me real sad. I think about those sunny days when we bump into each other just like that. Like it was the most normal thing in the world and now, someone had to pass away to get us all in. Well, scratch that, not even all of us.

I told Erika how I feel old and grown up. That I think we already belonged to those people who say they only get to see friends on wakes.

Whew. Well, on a lighter note, as a superstition of making "pagpag" after you visit the dead and as my own physical need for food (I haven't eaten anything for the day), we went off and searched for some place to eat. We ended up at JT's. And of course, we saw JT. hehe.

It was pleasant having dinner at a long table with good old friends like good old days. Fiona had dinuguan. LOL, I don't even eat that, isn't she just so likable for a kid? I really don't have my way on these little creatures I find it hard getting along with them and they're kind of irritating when they're 5 you know. But Fiona was a good kid, I can just tell. Of course, Pma being a child at heart, became her instant playmate. They were so cute, I had stopped a few seconds for a couple of times just to watch them.

We went to get ice cream after that. Wow, that's the best part! :p

It was past twelve so we decided to head home.

This is why I love Fridays. I can't even work the whole day cause my mind has a giant sign with blinking neon lights that spelled FRIENDS. It doesn't really matter if we celebrate or mourn, I just feel happier when I'm with them.


0 comments:

Post a Comment